Eric of Pomerania, king of Denmark, Norway and
Sweden (at that time a unified kingdom), built a castle on the site now occupied by Malmöhus in 1434. The strategic location was of great importance. From here, the west side of the city could be protected and shipping traffic on the southern part of the Öresund monitored.
Malmöhus acquired its present appearance following major reconstruction in the mid 16th century, when King Christian III ordered the building of a modern fortress, splendid Renaissance castle and county governor´s residence, all on the one site.
Denmark´s coins were minted here in the Middle Ages. Crown Prince Frederick held wild parties here in the 16th century. Prisoners were beheaded in the courtyard in the 19th century. Malmöhus has now been restored in the spirit of the 16th century and is part of the Malmö Museums, the largest museum in southern Sweden. The castle is part of Sweden´s cultural heritage and is managed by the National Property Board.